Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 Memorial, Hines Ward Circle Jerk, and upcoming games

Today commemorates the 8th anniversary of the 9/11. Condolensces to all who's lives were forever changed by that day. I'm not a big fan of this sort of stuff, but this is one of the things that deserves to be commemorated.

On to football.



Steelers v. Titans last night:

In a game that was shitty beyond shitty, the Steelers came out with a win on a Jeff Reed overtime field goal. It should have been over in regulation, but Hines Ward had an attrocious fumble in the last minute of the 4th quarter at about the 5 yard line. The game was everything one could expect and more. Ben Rothlisberger holding the ball for 500 seconds while making 700 pump fakes before throwing, the Steelers running game grinding to a halt, Kerry Collins having a low completion percentage, and generally good defense all around.

What I couldn't stand is NBC color man Chris Collinsworth blowing his load all over Hines Ward. The unending obsession with Ward's "toughness" is absurd. So he makes some good blocks, but him blind siding someone doesn't warrant a cutaway. He's a great receiver. You don't need to go looking for reasons to hype him up, his talent is good enough.


Games This Weekend:
The Bears play the Sunday night game versus The Pack this week. It will be a great show down between Cutler and Rogers. The Pack has the advantage on offense, the Bears on special teams and defense. I don't want to guess who wins, I'll leave that for people smarter than I am, but I hope the Bears win.

Niners play the Cardinals. We'll see if the Shaun Hill can make any kind of improvement to help out that offense, they still have Frank Gore so I suppose that's something. The defense wasn't great either. This might be a lost season, but a lot of shit can happen in the NFL so We'll see.

Vikes play Cleveland at 1:00. The Vikes are obviously favored. No running back is getting past their fatass tackles. Vikes should win this going away, but again this is football and any given Sunday and all that crap.

It doesn't matter who the Lions play, they're going to lose.

12 comments:

Berselius said...

JC, I think you're discounting the fierceness of the Lions' new logo. It will surely intimidate the competition. It worked for the Cardinals last year.

I wasn't all that bothered by Collinsworth, mainly because I'm amused by watching players be blindsided by WRs. Roethlisberger ended up with much better numbers than I thought from watching the game, but it makes sense considering how little Pittsburgh was able to run the ball (36 yards on 23 carries? Ouch). Sometimes I wonder if they should include sacks etc in the QB rating stat.

Anonymous said...

lol that's true Jeff. I might indeed be underestimating the fierceness of the new logo.

The Steelers running game flat out sucks and their line isn't very good.

I just don't like it when people get undue praise for things they don't really need to get praised for. Praise Ward for being an exceptional receiver not for blindsiding the occasional corner back.

JCustler said...

Btw Madlarkin is me. I just wanted to make sure the Open ID accounts worked and whatnot.

Berselius said...

Oh, and Jeff = Berselius, btw. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to change that (dying laughing)

Berselius said...

test

JCustler said...

That makes it easier. I was going to ask, but you answered before I even asked lol.

Kiefer said...

Berselius, eh. I go by "oogie poo" elsewhere.

I may have to visit this place from time to time when bored at work. I know jack fucking squat about football, but it's fun to watch, so I'll probably contribute some inane commentary occasionally on the Bears games.

JCustler said...

We all talk are just talking out of our ass anyways oog. So I don't think inane commentary will be a problem (dying laughing)

Kiefer said...

Yeah, but I'm the one who says "What a great play!" when a universally panned play occurs. My knowledge of football runs puddle-deep.

Berselius said...

Oog, my level of knowledge of football is about the same as yours. I know zero about strategy, scheming, etc, I just like watching games

Kiefer said...

I like to drink beer and pretend I know the first thing about football. It's funny, actually. I implicitly respect and trust television, print, and radio analysts regarding football plays, and I instinctively disrespect and distrust those same voices in baseball. Is it because I know more about baseball? or are football analysts actually good? Is this an Allegory of the Intornets?

JCustler said...

I think that football announcers are just as bad sometimes. But you, as I, give them more credit because we don't know as much about football.

Post a Comment